Ad Blocking Happens For A Reason
Ad blocking technology is rapidly being deployed by consumers who are tiring of too many “in your face” offers cluttering up their online experience. Digital advertisers, and the networks that deploy those ads, are getting nervous. In fact, Facebook just announced that it will deploy new techniques to help its advertisers get around ad blockers. [UPDATE: Google announces search penalty for content blocking ads]
An Ad, Blocking An Article About – Ad Blocking
As purveyors of marketing tech tools & services, we at Boingnet monitor the ad-tech space, and try to stay ahead of trends for our clients. When an email arrived (that we opted in to) from eMarketer with the subject line: eMarketer Daily – Why More than a Quarter of US Internet Users Block Ads – we opened and clicked through to fully digest the data. To our dismay, here’s the first thing we saw:
Seriously. An ad popped up and blocked an article detailing the explosion of ad blocking technology. To top off the mounds of irony being heaped upon us, THE AD CTA WAS TO SIGN UP FOR THE EMAIL WE JUST CLICKED ON. After figuring out how to clear the screen from this incredible annoyance, we were able to dig in the specific types of ad that are most annoying to consumers. Of course, those that block content were rated most annoying, with a score of 4.31 out of 5 on the annoying scale. eMarketer, you’re driving ad blocking downloads!
Here’s How To Do It In 15-30 Minutes:
- Write your base blog post in WordPress or any other popular blogging CMS.
- Login to your Boingnet account, create a simple page template with a header, content block and footer.
- Copy the blog HTML from your CMS into the “Source” feature in the Boingnet content block. Save & make minor edits for formatting. Add variable data & logic for personalization.
- Upload your email list into Boingnet, map any custom fields (such as Customer/Lead, or other demographic/behavioral status codes).
- Create a Personalized Campaign & Generate Your PURLs.
- Create your email template in Boingnet, using the %pURL% variable in the CTA button.
- Add an email send as a Channel in your Personalized Campaign with the scheduled send time, subject line, etc.
Compare this audience experience to the eMarketer example. It’s a no-brainer. Instead of bombarding your email audience with annoying pop ups, treat them like you’d like to be treated – with a streamlined, personalized experience that says “I value your subscription”.
Minimize Your Unsubscribes…
If you deploy pop up, content blocking email subscription forms to build your email list, then follow through with a thoughtful approach to delivering content to your captured audience. With a twist on your ordinary workflow, you can optimize the audience experience and your content ROI. Spend a few extra minutes on a segmentation strategy, and you’ll get better performance and minimal list churn. Don’t contribute to the explosion in ad blocking tools.
Try Boingnet – Get a 60 Day Free Trial
There’s no credit cards required for you to:
- Run LIVE CAMPAIGNS with pURLs, email, landing pages and drip campaigns
- Build responsive landing pages & microsites with our template editor
- Upload lists, try out our Integrations with Salesforce, Mailchimp, Hubspot, Zapier & more
- Personalize campaigns easily using variable data & logic
- Create pURL’s and use them in email or direct mail
You’ll get free email support, full access to our Knowledgebase, free webinars and training after you sign up.